Acupuncture for Depression
Depression has been perceived as a condition caused by chemical imbalances in the brain. Conventional treatments include anti-depressants, anti-anxiety drugs, and sleeping pills. The common side effects of these drugs are drowsiness, blurred vision, headache, low libido, and anxiety. Acupuncture offers a more natural and effective solution by stimulating the central nervous system and increasing the production of endorphins and enkephalins, which are naturally occurring chemicals in the body that improve a persons mood and overall feeling of well-being.
Acupuncture is based on balancing the body's Chi or "life energy", which regulates spiritual, emotional, mental, and physical balance. Depression, anxiety and stress are caused by abnormal emotions leading to stagnation in the flow of Chi. Chinese medicine believes that the emotions are governed by individual organs. The body and the mind are a real part of the same functional system. Acupuncture, a holistic method, integrates the body and mind and balances emotional distress naturally, safely, cost effectively and more successfully, because it
promotes the bodys natural healing abilities.
is a holistic medicine, has never separated the mind and body, and comprehensively treats both the physical and mental symptoms of conditions.
enhances the health of anyone with conditions caused by drug side effects, cancer, endocrine abnormalities, etc.
helps patients by reducing or eliminating the need for medication and its inherent side effects and thereby lowering the cost of treatment.
emphasizes prevention and health maintenance. A healthy diet, exercise and stress reduction techniques can be very helpful in maintaining mental and physical health.
Dr. Gurciullo believes that people suffering from depression, anxiety, stress and insomnia should always try the simplest, safest, and the most natural approach first, and prescription medication should only be used as a very last resort. Dr. Gurciullo welcomes all who seek acupuncture as an alternative choice to improve their health, well-being and self-confidence. She can analyze the bodys individual disharmonies making a diagnosis based in Chinese medicine and will design a precise personalized treatment plan to correct underlying deficiencies or remove obstructions, and help her patients regain a sense of control and pleasure in life. Not only can this treatment substantially reduce the consumption of drugs such as Prozac, but it can also treat their side effects and the patients dependence. Most patients feel immediately calm, and experience a sense of peace and deep relaxation. Approximately 6-10 treatments are required for stabilizing and favorable results, while major depression requires more intensive treatment and herbal medicine.
Acupuncture can help balance disharmonies in the body--mental, physical, emotional and spiritual. Additional benefits include:
- Improved overall health and well-being.
- Better emotional balance, calmed the body and mind.
- Mental clarity and enhanced concentration.
- Reduced pain and muscle tension.
- Enriched sleep.
- More positive feelings about self, more interest in life and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
- More energy and increased regular exercise.
- Improved ability to handle changes and problems in life.
- Reduction in eating disorders.
- Fewer concerns about small things.
In addition to treatment Dr. Gurciullo prescribes the following lifestyle changes for the prevention of all emotional or mental disturbances and the reclamation of good health:
- Eliminate nicotine, caffeine and alcohol which aggravate stress.
- Avoid hot, spicy, or cold, raw foods and iced drinks.
- Balance your diet, eat 80% alkaline food, and avoid excessive meats and carbohydrates.
- Avoid over thinking and overly ambitious goals.
- Avoid physical exhaustion; get plenty of rest.
- Strive to be open hearted, open minded and content.
- Exercise moderately and have a steady routine; employ deep breathing techniques such as meditation, Tai Chi or Qi Gong.
- Make sure you are taking a full complement of Vitamin B, magnesium and iron; a deficiency in any of these can lead to symptoms of depression.
Dr. Gurciullo is committed to helping you achieve your health goals. You are not alone! Together we can reach the most successful optimum results and a fuller expression of health, wellness and quality of life!